It is a question that I get asked countless times every week.
How do I start a blog?
There seems to have been a massive uptake to blogging over the past 12 months and it would seem that everyone knows someone who blogs. The simple fact is that blogging can be a rewarding hobby for people with a lot to say, others have managed to turn their blogs into a full-time income source.
However, blogging is not for everyone. It requires time, hard-work and commitment to grow a successful blog and many people start up blogs with the promise of generating thousands of dollars/pounds/(insert your currency here) but in reality many do not earn anything.
The blog tracking site Technorati reported a while back that there are over 175k new blogs created every day around the world, at a guess I would say that 60% of these stop adding new content within two months and 80% within six months. Many people forget just how challenging it can be coming up with new content to keep your readers interested, many blogs fail to get traffic when they launch and lose focus.
When talking to people who have expressed an interest in starting a blog, many of them get put off because they think it costs money to run a blog and think they don’t have the technical ability to start a blog. The truth is that you can start a blog for free and very easily thanks to a program called Blogger.
Blogger is a blogging platform run by Google that allows anyone to start and keep up a blog for free, it even has a built in system to help you make money from your blog.
I am going to talk you through the process of how to start a blog for free in this post.
How To Start A Blog (for free)
I am now going to guide you through a step-by-step process that will show you how to start a blog, for free:
- Head over to Blogger.com – If you already have a Google account, you can go ahead and log in. If you don’t already have a Google account then you will need to go through the simple process of creating an account.
- Once you have logged in you now need to click ‘New Blog’ to start the process of creating a new blog. You will be greeted by a popup box asking you to enter a name for your blog. You want to make your blog name catchy, but at the same time you want to be sure that it puts across the theme of your blog. So if you a looking to start a blog about fashion, you will find that ‘David’s Fashion Blog’ is a description title, but you might also what to be more niche, such as ‘The Geek Chic Bible’. At the end of the day, it is your blog so you can call it what ever you like.
- Next you are asked to provide an ‘address’. This defines what your URL is going to be. My advice is to keep it the same as your blog name just without the spaces, if your blog name is already taken, try it with a dash instead of a space. If that is still taken then have a play around until you find a variation that is free.
- The next step is to pick a template. At this point you might just want to pick one at random as you get the chance to change it at a later date. Once you have picked one, hit ‘Create Blog’….. You have just started a blog.
- You will now be taken back to the Blogger dashboard and you should be able to see your new blog waiting for you. If you click on your blogs name you will be taken to your blogs dashboard.
- From your blogs dashboard you can see how much traffic your blog is getting, create posts, create pages, change your layout and start earning money.
- In order to get your blog off and running now is a great time to write your first post. To do this click ‘New Post’ at the top of the navigation menu on the left or your dashboard.
- You will be taken to the create a blog post page. From here you need to enter a title for your first post in the box at the top of the page. Next you go ahead and write your content in the big box. Once you are happy with your post simply hit ‘Publish’ at the top of the page.
- Woop! You have just published your first blog post! I would like to be the first to congratulate you on becoming a blogger.
- To view your blog, simply click the ‘View Blog’ button at the top of the page.
- You should now go out and tell all your friends about your blog. I would also take some time to explore all the links in the Blog dashboard to get a good understanding of everything that you can do on your blog.
I hope you found this guide on how to start a blog useful. Feel free to share your views and your new blog in the comment section below. Also if you are having any problems setting up your blog then feel free to post them below and I will do my best to help.
I know many people prefer to have a visual guide to here is a video from Google on how to start a blog on Blogger:
If you have your blog up and running and are now looking to make some money from it, then below is a video guide to using Google Adsense on your Blogger blog:
Thanks for taking the time to read this post and good luck with your new blog.