I have talked a lot in the past about how you can increase your Twitter following and how to drive traffic back to your blog through Twitter, today I want to talk about one of the things that is key to success in both these areas and that is Retweets or RT for short.
What Is A Retweet (RT):
Retweeting is how Twitter users share interesting tweets from the people they are following. They copy and paste the original tweet and send it out. To give credit to the original person, users usually put “RT” plus the originator’s username at the beginning of the tweet. – Mashable
Why Should You Want More Retweets?
When another Twitter user retweets your tweets or blog posts they are then shown to that users followers as well as your own. This means that the more RTs that your posts get on Twitter the larger your reach is. So put this into simpler terms image you have 100 followers, you tweet out a message without any retweets, this gives you a reach of 100.
Now imagine that of your 100 followers 10 of them decide to retweet your post, if they each also have 100 followers your reach is now 1100. This can on down the chain so as more people see it more may want to RT it, this is how some tweets can go viral. By reach we are referring to the amount of people who may see your tweet. Chances are that everyone is not on Twitter at the same time so your true reach will be a lot less, but as people are retweeting your posts you may be seen by more people at different times of the day.
As you can see, you want more retweets to help spread your message and to get your blog posts seen by more people than if just you alone tweeted.
How To Get More Retweets On Twitter:
Below are a few tips to help you get more retweets for your future blog posts:
- Short and Sweet – Keep your tweets short and sweet. Long tweets get retweeted less than shorter ones. It also leaves room for the Retweeter to add a few comments to the RT.
- Grab Peoples Attention – Make your tweets stand out. There are millions of tweets flying around every second. Be sure to make your tweets stand out from the crowd. Stats, facts and bold statements are good ways of achieving this.
- Ask - Very simple. Just ask people to RT your tweet. This is a very effective way of getting more Retweets, some people like to be told what to do.
- Prominent Retweet Buttons – This is often over-looked! Place a retweet button at the top and bottom of your blog posts so that readers who have enjoyed your content can share it with their followers.
- Give To Receive – There is a lot of reciprocation on Twitter, if you retweet someone elses posts then chances are they may RT one of yours. Don’t go over-board with this though as people may get fed up with you if your stream is constantly full of you Retweeting other people’s posts.
- Hash Tags – Another method that is extremely easy to do but often overlooked. Include relevant hash-tags in your tweet so that people in that niche will see your tweets.
- Schedule - Do you only tweet during your waking hours? What about people on the other side of the world that are awake whilst you sleep? Schedule in some tweets to go out at night so that all your followers can enjoy your content.
These are just a few ideas but I am sure that there are many more. If you have a good one why not share it in the comment section below.